Sunday, July 5, 2009

I know it's been awhile since my last update. Since i'm not even sure if this blog is read by anyone by myself, I guess it really dosen't matter about how often I do update.Or does it? Perhaps this lone little Las Vegan (but i'm NOT a vegan, ifyouknowwhatimean) and her commentary on food is actually followed. Let me know if you're out there!

The 4th of July has always been my beloved Grandmother's birthday. She would have been 88 today. I decided I should work, as to keep my mind off this fact. RIGHT. Like that was possible. Work was like a graveyard,so I took an early out, and wandered over to Chinatown. Chinese cuisune had to be one of her favorite types of food, shrimp especially. I'd been meaning to give another Indiana Jones-like lookaroundfor the fabled Dong Ting Spring, on a hidden side-street across from the main mall on Spring Mountain Rd. I'd gone looking one other time, to totally miss it.I call it fabled, as folks on Chowhound that have gone have said it's one of the spiciest resturaunts in town, and delicious to boot.

Walking in at 10pm, there was only one couple inside, and they were finishing up. Perusing the menu, I'd wanted to try something different. Even it being her b-day, I wasen't really feeling like shrimp, but SPICE.I ordered the Dry Sauteed Beef, medium spice level. The staff was friendly and accomodating, and the food was to the table in a few short minutes. I was dismayed that they do not serve beer, something i'd crave in just a few moments.With my pot of jasmine tea, I was impressed by what i'd ordered. VERY thinly sliced beep, almost julianned was in a slight sauce of fresh ginger, garlic and soy. The -possibility- of fish sauce was there, or at least I thought i'd tasted it.Along with the beef were very red and shiny sliced chilipeppers- but..What type? They almost looked like mini (2-3inch long) red bell peppers. I had to eat one....I was hit with a sweet, happy pepper flavor, then my mouth began to melt. Hotter than any jalepenoi'd ever had, but without the cooling heat of Schechuan peppercorns I love, this was...a shock, till I accepted it. If you go hunting dragons, you gotta expect heat, and possibly a bit of getting BURNED TO DEATH. Closing my eyes, I let it take over me and my body. Sweat beaded on my brow,my nose leaked down my lip. It w At this point, I wished beyond anything for a cold Tsing-Tao. The idea of it taunted me, as taking a sip of hot tea made it only WORSE.
But Lisa- you ask...How was the flavor? It was perfect. I love ginger emmensly. Garlic's pretty awesome in my book as well. As I suffered in joy, it hit me that it tasted almost like a perfect beef jerkey, but with fresh beef. I actually felt my endorphins kick in, and the bliss was now with me.This is one of the few times that true hot food has done this to me. I either don't notice it when it does happen, or my tastebugs were napping when I eat lava-like ramen in LA at Orochon. If that's too hot, I just can't continue eating it, meal ruined.
I know i'll be back, with husband in tow. He's the real chilihead, not I. I hope their Mabo Tofu is as awesome.


Dong Ting Spring
3950 Schiff Dr.
LV, NV 89102
702)387-7888
Hours: 10am to 11pm, 7nts a week.

No comments: